Recognizing the need to provide support to Delaware County’s local business community, Delaware County has launched Delco Strong Small Business Support. The program will provide $1.75 million in grants for small businesses affected by COVID-19.
Administered in partnership with the Delaware County Economic Development Oversight Board, the Delaware County Planning Commission and the Redevelopment Authority of the County of Delaware, eligible applicants can apply for up to $7,500 and grant proceeds may be used for rent, mortgage, utilities and inventory.
“Our small businesses are the backbone of our economy, and we know that this pandemic has caused financial hardships for many small business owners,” said Delaware County Councilwoman Elaine Paul Schaefer. “The Delco Strong program will help many small businesses owners through this challenging time until they can open their doors back up and the community can begin supporting them once again.”
Businesses eligible for this grant program must meet the following criteria:
- Be a small business defined as having less than 50 full-time employees on payroll as of March 1, 2020
- Must be a for-profit business
- Business must occupy a “brick and mortar ” location within Delaware County that is not a residential home
- Business must be located in an industrial or commercial (or similarly described) district within Delaware County
- Businesses must be registered or incorporated to conduct business within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Priority consideration will be given to the following eligible businesses:
- Businesses located in a designated CDBG, redevelopment or blighted area within Delaware County
- Businesses engaged in “Main Street” activity (retail, service‐based)
- Businesses engaged in manufacturing
- Businesses engaged in the trades (plumbing, HVAC, electrical, carpentry, etc.)
- Businesses that reported 5 or more fulltime employees on the payroll in Delaware County prior to March 2, 2020
- Businesses that demonstrate capability to survive with strong cash flow prior to pandemic shutdown
The program seeks to support small businesses during the COVID‐19 pandemic. Eligible costs that will be considered when making a grant determination will include business expenses incurred or due between February 15, 2020 and May 5, 2020. Demonstration of these expenses must be submitted with the grant application in the form of invoices from the vendor.
Eligible Costs include:
- Up to three months of rent or mortgage payments
- Up to three months of utilities: electric, water, sewer, internet, security systems.
- Inventory: items regularly needed to conduct business incurred or due between February 15 and May 5, 2020
The application can be submitted online or in person. The window to submit an online application is May 6 from 12:01a.m. to 11:59p.m. The window to submit a paper application is on May 6 from noon to 4:30p.m. and May 7 from 8:30a.m. to 1:00p.m at the Delaware County Courthouse. Applications will not be accepted before or after the window application. Due to an anticipated high volume of applications, not all applicants will be awarded a grant. Businesses should submit timely, fully completed applications during the application window with information showing they meet criteria in order to be considered.
More information on the grant application can be found here
Residents who need assistance can email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Delco Strong isn’t just a phrase. It’s a way of life,” said Patrick Killian, Director of the Delaware County Commerce Center. “In just a week, we were able to bring together four separate entities to establish this program. We brought our collective strengths and creativity together to address the needs of our business community during this extremely difficult time.”