Delaware County officially launched the Delaware County Emergency Rental Assistance (DELCO ERA) Grant Program on March 26. The program assists renters who have suffered disruption and loss of income due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Over $37 million is available to residents to assist with past due rent and an outstanding utility bill.
How the program works:
- DELCO ERA will pay for past due rent, the largest past due utility bill, and up to three months of future eligible housing/utility expenses totaling up to 15 months of assistance. Past due rent can go as far back as April 1, 2020. DELCO ERA does not pay for deposits.
- No more than one application per household.
- Grant funds are paid directly to the landlord/property manager and the utility company.
- Funds will be distributed on a “first-come, first qualified and approved” basis until program funds are depleted.
- Eligible applicants must earn 80% or less of area median income (AMI) for household size. (See below chart.)
- Priority for processing will be given to households earning less than 50% AMI and/or households with at least one person unemployed who has an active claim with the Office of Unemployment Compensation for at least 90 days prior to the date of their full application.
Household income must be no more than 80% of area median income. Priority will be given to households at or below 50% AMI.
HUD INCOME LIMITS 2020 DELAWARE COUNTY
- Household income must be no more than 80% of area median income. Priority will be given to households at or below 50% AMI.
- The applicant must provide evidence of disruption and/or loss due to COVID-19 pandemic such as:
- Qualified for unemployment benefits during the pandemic or can attest in writing that they or a member of their household has experienced a reduction of income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to the pandemic; and
- Can demonstrate a risk of housing instability and/or homelessness such as a past due utility or rent notice or eviction notice.
How to Apply:
Register online: www.delco-era.com
The application has three parts:
- Registration to verify residency in Delaware County and submit an email address and phone number.
- Once a person has registered, they will be contacted with instructions to submit a full application.
- A case manager will contact the applicant with instructions on how to upload verification documents such as photo ID, evidence of income loss, evidence of past due utilities and lease information.
Residents are encouraged to apply early as funds are limited! Application Specialists are available to assist. People with language and/or physical challenges can request assistance with application submission.
Residents can email or call for assistance: email@example.com or (484) 729-4200
The U.S. Treasury and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania allocated $37.2 million to fund DELCO ERA. The County engaged Capital Access, Inc, a grants management firm based in the Delaware Valley, to assist with program management. All funds must be expended by end of 2021.